Automobiles like cars and truck use automotive water pump for cooling and removing the heat generated in the engine. Its main function is to maintain the smooth running of the cooling system of heavy and light automotive. Water pump standard and quality will show a direct effect on the performance of the engine. Even the above characteristics take care if it not installed as per the design instruction that pump could damage the whole system combining with it. In most occasions, the dealer with appropriate warranty replaces automotive water pumps. Of course, the damage claimed should not include the reason for improper installation and maintenance.
Selecting a water pump for a car is a somewhat confusing task and in most cases, you will be misguided if you do not know the application of water pump in your car. Allow an engineer to guide you now to know the installation and troubleshooting procedure with details of what parts it contains because no water pumps are same.
Let’s know what are the general parts present in an automotive water (coolant) pump. Thermostat housing, fan belt, radiator, radiator cap, hose clips, thermostat, radiator and heater hose, fan clutches. Coolant is the most important substance for the water pump, this liquid material flow around the system transfers heat by absorbing and releasing from a hot source to cool sink.
Regular maintenance checklist:
- Leakage of hoses and radiators
- Airflow blocked with dirt in radiator channels
- Fan belt tension
- Condition of the radiator cap
- Coolant flow rate
- Fans clutch condition
- Engine cylinders compression ratio
- Brakes adjustment
Do and Don’t about Coolant:
- Coolants meant for heat transfer medium do not mix with inhibitors. Inhibitor will decrease the heat transfer coefficient and reduce the heat exchange rate.
- Never use coolants that form a foam. Cavitation erosion will occur if the foam formed in the system. You can check this by shaking the coolant and allow it stay still for 5 seconds. Whatever foam formed when shaken, should collapse and coolant should look normal.
- Coolant should be prepared with the purest water only if not the whole coolant mixture will change it acid state and cause corrosion.
- Ethylene glycol should be present in your coolant mixture.
- Stray current should be less than 50mV, if it is above than corrosive nature of coolant has started.
- pH value of the coolant should be maintained around 7.5-9.5 only if this value moves around than coolant should be replaced immediately.
Troubleshooting the failure in automotive water pumps:
- Noise and unpleasant sounds near the automotive water pump: when a belt used for a fan to make it rotate due to slippage of the belt the noise generates with a rhythm. If not then the pulley groove will be worn off. The bearing of the pulley get dry and make noises. Lubricating the bearing will decrease the sounds. By introducing DC electric motor for the pump and the fan noise problem can be rectified.
- Fan clutch should be replaced due to engine overheating occurs, the free play of fan is more than 0.25 inches, the fan rotates free after the engine switch off and water pump vibrations.
- Fan belt tension should be maintained with a free bend about 1 inch only. As per the design, the belt will not perform effectively if it is too tight or too loose.