Saving the loss of steam is a cost cutting strategy. Preventing the energy loss from a system is very hard task. Optimizing the process based on variables of production time, quantity and demand of product make the calculation work more complex. Energy intensity calculation gives an idea on the extent of steam energy consumption. Steam cost calculation solver is a simple formula used for steam systems:
STEAM COST CALCULATION = fuel flow rate × unit cost of fuel /steam flow rate delivered to the process
Application of steam in various technology aspects
- Chemical industries for steam cracking, steam distillation and purging of pipelines for cleaning.
- Ships, Submarine, Torpedo propulsion system are highly sophisticated machines. New modern vessels are nuclear powered to generate and use steam for propulsion in seas.
- Power generation using steam turbine. Whether it is nuclear or thermal, the heat energy produced by the fission or combustion is used to produce high-pressure steam. HP steam is for turbine and generator system to produce electricity.
- Steam floor cleaner
- Steam ironing
- Health steam bath
Cause of steam loss:
- Steam mass flow loss caused at the boilers level control valve due to the salt deposition on the surface of the pipes and valve. It will decrease the diameter and volume of the steam flow through it. This cause increase in steam cost value.
Industrial steam system for effective steam cost control:
For better system to manage steam models like district heating system are very useful. This system is a heating source and sink network. It is well designed to handle the problems like steam stagnation, condensate, heat dissipation and water hammering. Not only district heating type any system with efficient hydraulic calculation will result in minimum loss and high performance units.
To figure out the real price of water converting to steam, we need to know more information about the water and steam in concern. Energy transferred in the form of heat and pressure from source of production to equipments. For industrial steam system the steam energy circuit formed between four variables
- Equipments that produce steam:
- Boilers,steam generation source
- Distribution, pipeline and valve system
- Condensate, collection and recycle of water from traps and make-up
- End-user for utilization of steam, equipments that consume steam:
- Heat exchangers
Percentage of carbon emission of the process plant increase as the steam loss increases from the steam distribution system. The main culprit for the steam loss or leak is the steam trap. This factor directly increase the expenses on water purification, excess fuel consumption to compensate the loss of energy and add the load on the flue gas treatment system which are very costly to maintain and run by the process company.